Critical Thinking,

10:45 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
First of all, I would like to beg for an apologies because I dont have time to update my blog for the early September...I have a Physic test which was extraordinary-damn-hard..huhu, I had put my best effort into it since I avoid everything including updating my blog..so, I hope my preseverance and my commitment will pays in the end. Big apologies..hope I am not too late to talk about last week issue..'Education and Learning'.

So, on this issue..I would like to highlight a topic under the Education and Learning..the topic is CRITICAL THINKING. Why I choose this topic? It is because..I am so interested to learn how am I going to critical in thinking..and so on. Eventually, I have some reading that I think can help on writing my blog.

Critical thinking is at the core of a liberal education. A liberal education provides the foundation to define and pursue goals. In a liberal education, students are taught to investigate all sides of a question and all possible sollutions to a problem before reaching a conclusion or planning a course of action.

The word liberal as used here has no political connotation, but is a direct reference to the ability of education to free your mind. The word itself comes from the Latin, a verb meaning "to free". The goal of a liberal education is to free you from the biases, superstitions,prejudices, and lack of knowledge that may have characterized you before you came to college. Next time you wonder why you are required to take courses outside your major, remember how important they can be.

4 Aspects Of CRITICAL thingking,

Critical thinking cannot be learned overnight. Yet as interpreted by William T.Daly, teacher of political science at the Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, the critical thinking process can be divided into four basic steps. Practicing these basic ideas can help you become more effective thinker.

  • Abstract Thinking : Using details to discover some bigger idea.

Ask yourself what larger concepts the details suggest. For example, you read an article that describes how many people are using the Internet now, how much consumer information it provides, what kinds of goods you can buy cheaply over the Internet, and also that many low-income families are still without computers. Think carefully about these facts, and you might arrive at several different important generalizations.

  • Creative Thinking : Seeking connections, Finding new possibilities, Rejecting nothing.

The creative phase of thinking can lead in many directions. It might involve searching for ways to make the Internet more available to low-income households. Or it might involve searching out more detailed information on how much interest big companies really have in marketing various goods to low-income families. In essence, the creative thinking stage involves extending the general idea-finding new ways to apply it or identifying other ideas it might suggest.

  • Systemic Thinking : Organizing the Possibilities, Tossing out the rubbish.

Systematic thinking involves looking at the outcome of the secong phase in a more demanding, critical way. If you are looking to the solutions to a problem, which ones really seem most promising after you have conducted an exhausive search for materials.

  • Precise Communication : Being prepared to present your ideas convincingly to others.
Intelligent conclusions aren't very useful if you cannot share them with others. Consider what your audience will need to know to follow your reasoning and be pursuaded. Remember to have 'facts in hand' as you attempt to convince others of the truth of your argument. Don't be defensive, instead, just be logical.

Source : Academic Study Skill Text Book " Strategies For Success"

0 comments: